Sunday, October 20, 2013

The ASALH Conference 2013: A Day by Day Reflective Account of a Life Changing Experience

Dr. Kristy Taylor and Ms. Lisa Ransom of
 JaxHeritage Consultants
 
Earlier this month, October 2nd-6th, I had the opportunity to attend the ASALH conference.  ASALH stands for the Association for the Studyof African American History and Life; the organization was started by Dr. Carter G. Woodson on September 9th, 1915.  If you are not familiar with the work of Dr. Woodson, his book The Mis-Education of the Negro, is a must read for all persons interested in the study of African American history and life.  Many of the key points made by Dr. Wood in the 1933 publication of the book are still relevant today. The ASALH conference was one of the most important learning experiences that I have had in my professional career.  I also met great individuals like Ms. Lisa Ransom of JaxHeritage Consultants and Mr. Matt Bowman of Micanopy Winery. From the moment that I arrived at the conference the learning began, below is a synopsis of my ASLAH experience:

Day 1:  Wednesday 10/2/2013

I arrived in Jacksonville on Wednesday night, and I missed a few of the pre-conference events.  I did however take the time to find the hotel at which the conference was being held as well as catch a few scenic sites in the immediate River Front area.

Day 2:   Thursday 10/3/2013

Upon arriving at the conference, I went to the registration booth in order to ensure that everything was squared away for the event.  One of the first presentations that I attended was:  “From the South to Boston:  Perspectives on Black Migration, Activism, and Coalition Building."  I learned the about the civil rights movement from the Black-Brown Perspective and the influence of Hispanic and Latina culture on the movement, particularly in the Boston area.  The concept of Black-Brown relations during this era was new to me, and I never realized how these individuals worked together to achieve their goals and the commonalities that they shared.  I found this very interesting since I had always thought Boston to be more progressive.

I also visited the exhibit hall in which, I had the pleasure of purchasing a variety of books on African American life and history for only $5.00 each.  I walked away with at least 20 different books to add to my library at home.  While attending the luncheon for that day, I received a text from my supervisor that I would be allowed to proceed with teaching an African American History course at our college.  We currently do not offer the class, and it had been deactivated previously due to a lack of enrollment.  It was a very symbolic moment in my mind, as I set listening to the daughter of slain civil rights leader, Medgar Evers and Ms. Lisa McNair, the sister of Denise McNair, who died in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, AL.  I also had the pleasure of meeting them and taking a picture with them after event.  In addition, the panel was hosted by Mr. Jeffery Steinberg, founder of Sojourn to the Past. 

After the luncheon, I spent the rest of the day visiting and listening to various presentations such as:  Canada and the Emancipation Proclamation, Racial Uplift During and After the Civil, and Reinterpreting Reconstruction at each of which I was able to take plenty of notes for further research in the future.  The Thursday, plenary session was an appreciation for Dr. John Bracey, an influential leader, speaker, activist, and professor in the field of African American Studies.  The panel was consisted of other visionaries and revolutionaries such as Dr. Earnest Allen, Dr. Darlene Clark Hine, Dr. Stephanie Evans, Dr. John Higginson, and Dr. Sonia Sanchez (Yes, that Sonia Sanchez, the poet). 

Can you imagine what it felt like to sit in the presence of these individuals all in one space? At the luncheon, when I received the message that I would be allowed to teach African American History, I could only shed tears of joy as I listened to the young lady sing, Lift Every Voice and Sing.  In my mind it was a reconfirmation of my destiny as an educator in my community.


Day 3:  Friday, 10/4/2013

Pictured with Mr. Matt Bowman and Dr. Robert Hayling

When I arrived at the conference, I attended the Carter G. Woodson luncheon, and Dr. Kaye Wise Whitehead was the key note speaker; her speech was very heart-felt and motivational.  After the luncheon, I again spent most of the day going in and out of various presentations.  It is important to note that in order to gain full perspective on various topics, it is best to sit in on an entire presentation.  Because I wanted to learn as much as possible, I chose to visit various presentations at different points and focus on note taking for further research later on.  I attended Black Women Organizing between the Depression and the Cold War and August Meier’s Negro Thought in America 50 Years Later.  I found the presentation on Dr. August Meiers to be so interesting that I stayed the entire time.  I was surprised to learn that Dr. Bracey was leading the discussion.  It was very inspirational listening to him discuss Dr. Meiers, as well as the exchanges that occurred between him and Dr. Clark Hine, who was sitting in the audience. The plenary session was entitled, How Free is Free?: The March Since 1963, and it was yet another great reflective discussion on African American progress since the March on Washington.  I ended the night by attending the Taste of Black Expo, hosted by the Jack and Jill Chapter of Jacksonville, FL. 

Day 4:  Saturday, 10/5/2013

I arrived at the beginning of the luncheon on Saturday, and Mr. Bernard Kinsey was the keynote speaker.  Mr. Kinsey is a former CEO of Xerox, and he owns one of the largest personal collections of African American art and historical artifacts.  I was excited to find out that Mr. Kinsey is from the West Palm Beach area, although he and his wife currently reside in California.  I would love to some day have part of his collection on display at our main campus in the future. After the luncheon was over, I was standing in line to purchase Mr. Kinsey’s book, and I met Dr. Robert Hayling.  Dr. Hayling was a civil rights leader in St. Augustine, and he actually worked directly with Dr. Martin Luther King.  I think that it is important that we learn all we can from individuals like Dr. Hayling regarding the work that they did during this period.

I attended the Afro, EBlack Studies, and the Digital Revolution Seminar:  Recent Initiatives and the plenary session: Making Emancipation:  From a Black Reconstruction to a Black President.  The plenary session was not only very inspirational and informative, but I learned the names of several individuals whose work I would like to read in the future:  Dr. Edna Medford, Dr. Robin Kelley, and Dr. Paul Ortiz.  I found the perspectives of Dr. Kelley and Dr. Ortiz of particular interest.  Dr. Ortiz spoke from the perspective of the influence of Hispanic/Latino culture on the civil rights movement.  I also attended the ASALH Annual Banquet, and Dr. Johnetta B. Cole was the key note speaker.  Dr. Cole was a true inspiration, and I will be writing more about her later on.  I found her speech to be motivational in the sense that it was thought provoking, challenging, and promoted personal accountability and upliftment in the same sentiment.

Day 5:  Sunday, 10/6/2013



On Sunday, I spent the day touring various sites in St. Augustine.  I do not think, that I can do this experience justice by including it as a part of the overall synopsis of the ASALH experience, so I will write about it another day.  In short, I learned things about Florida’s history, that I never knew, and I also learned about Ft. Mose.  Ft. Mose is the first free African settlement in the United States.  The tour of St. Augustine was such a moving experience, and I also got to learn about Dr. Hayling’s influence in this area, because his name came up on several occasions throughout the tour.




Overall, the ASALH conference was a great learning and networking opportunity.  As I continue to work to build my knowledge and reputation in the field of American History, the ASALH conference will continue to play an important role in my personal and professional development.  

No comments:

Post a Comment